General Assembly Notes 10/07
WORKING GROUP UPDATES
1. TXT MSG GROUP
– If you want to know what’s going on with Occupy Seattle, text 68398.
– We are working on crafting concise, appropriate messages.
– If you have questions, please come to the work group on 10/8 at 4pm.
– We share considerable common ground. Let’s work together to make more specific demands.
– There is a poster near the food tent. If you have demands, write them down.
3. FINANCE & LEGAL
– If you want to discuss needs or share concerns concerning fundraising and banks, please come to the work group meeting on 10/8 at 4pm.
– We’re here to keep you safe!
– 3 Question Temperature Check
1. Do we want a local credit union account?
2. Do we want an on-line, transparent account?
3. Do we want to be tax-deductible?
4. PEACE AND SAFETY
– Remember that we are a peaceful protest. It is everyone’s duty to keep the peace and vibe-watch.
– We will be wearing orange bands/duct tape/bandanas/ties to identify our work group.
5. OUTREACH –
– It is the outreach team’s job to make sure everyone, even those who are not at the GA, to be represented and heard.
– Tomorrow, we are standing in solidarity with indigenous peoples. We are decolonizing the occupation!
– Please welcome every new person to our movement. We need each other to grow.
6. MEDICAL –
– Medical will have a meeting after the GA.
– We are starting to make 8 ft sleeves to protect sleeping bags and piles of blankets.
– Remember this is marathon not a sprint. If you have a fever or extreme fatigue, it’s time to take care of yourself.
– ITEMS NEEDED: Blankets, Hats, Gloves, Lights, Shelving, Storage, Painter’s Plastic.
7. STORAGE AND SUPPLY –
– We’re losing emergency storage soon, so we’re working on new storage solutions.
– Contact Info:
– Lost items can be found behind the medical tent.
– SUPPLY ITEMS NEEDED: Clear, plastic totes (all sizes), Batteries (all sizes)
– POWER STATION ITEMS NEEDED: Deep Cycle Batteries (car batteries ok), Cigarette Lighter Adapters, Car AC/DC Inverters
– DRIVERS NEEDED.
8. INTERNET COMMUNICATIONS –
– We are here to make things easier for you. We are enablers to facilitate communication.
– Please e-mail requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– NEED: Translators.
9. FOOD –
– Important considerations:
1. where our food/drink sources are coming from
2. how to waste less
3. is this a communal food kitchen or is it just for occupiers?
– KITCHEN ITEMS NEEDED: Sandwich and Bread Fillings, Prepared Coffee, Carafes, Prepared Meals.
– PEOPLE NEEDED to prepare meals!
10. MEDIA –
– We need to define the event on 10/8. We will discuss this later in the GA.
11. INFORMATION –
– On 10/8, there will be an informational booth set up.
– NEED: Work group information (such as e-mails, phone #s, statements of purpose, definitions).
12. TACTICAL –
– We suggest giving the Native Alliance our full solidarity and then doing Occupy Seattle outreach afterward.
– 10/15 is a National Day of Action.
– The week of October 23rd is a week of divestment. Let’s take our money back from the banks.
– We have been told there will be a large police presence at 10/8’s rally. They have said they will be there to keep us safe.
– We propose ‘Sunday Schools’ where we bring in people with varying expertise to educate us on tactics and the issues.
13. DIRECT ACTION –
– Meet us at the Bank of America after GA.
1) 10/8’s event schedule
2) Adjusting GA time
3) Native Alliance Rally
4) Adding educational groups
5) Organizational logistics
6) Legal Team proposals
– General Announcements
– Closing Statements
Suggestions for the Agenda:
Suggestion – Discuss the idea, proposed by a Channel 13 reporter, that an Occupy Seattle representative meet with a banker.
Response – This should be delegated to the MEDIA work group, who will report back to us.
First Topic: How to Clarify/Organize the 10/8 Event.
Clarification: The tentative schedule was that Occupy Seattle would march at 12pm, then split into small groups of less than 5 people (to not be considered a gang) and do direct outreach in the city.
Concern: Tomorrow there is a rally in support of Native Peoples Alliance. Will this detract from their rally?
Response – We spoke with Native Alliance and they agree with whatever decision we make.
Concern: We need logistics concerning crossing streets and sidewalks. We need more organization.
Response: This should be delegated to the Peace and Safety Committee and Tactical Group.
Question: Do we have a permit to march?
Concern: We need to clarify the event.
Ideas: 1) March from Westlake at 12pm to the Bank of America Columbia Tower.
2) Stay at Westlake and do outreach/connect.
Straw Poll: Should we stay here tomorrow?
Outcome: Majority said yes.
Suggestion: Marching and staying at Westlake are not mutually exclusive. We should stay while the indigenous peoples rally is here and then march afterward.
The Occupy Seattle movement stays at Westlake during the Native Alliance Rally, then marches between 5-6:30pm.
ACTION: MOTION PASSED.
We need to break up into Outreach groups, and also change the GA time.
ACTION: TABLED FOR THE NEXT GA.
Second Topic: The Legal and Finance work group wants to know if Occupy Seattle wants a local credit union account, an on-line, transparent account, and whether or not we want to be tax-deductible.
Straw Poll: Do we open a credit union account?
Outcome: Majority yes.
Straw Poll: Should we accept offers from organizations who can make us tax-deductible?
Outcome: Majority no.
THIRD PROPOSAL: The Legal and Finance work group should bring specific proposals to the GA.
ACTION: MOTION PASSED.
Third Topic: Organizational Logistics.
All working groups should have a representational color (duct tape, bandana, tie, etc.) and a legend so people who know who to talk to.
ACTION: MOTION PASSED
1. There will be a breakdown/informational meeting concerning Seattle Cop Watch after the GA.
2. On 10/8, there will be a Welcome Wagon set up at 10am. We need your support!
3. On 10/8, there will be a controversial movie playing at Uptown Movie Theatre at 7:30pm. The movie is about the independent revolution in Bangladesh and has a political statement that aligns with Pakistan.
4. The Old Growth Alliance asks us to remember to have great respect for native and indigenous cultures and also offers their support for Occupy Seattle. If you have questions, there is information posted by the Affinity Group sign. The Old Growth Alliance will be at Westlake Park on Monday, October 10th, from 12-4pm.
6. On Wednesday, 10/12, at 12pm, there will be a city-wide campus walk-out. Look up ‘Occupy Seattle Walk-Out’ on Facebook for more information.
7. Suggestion: Anyone who wants to should bring tarps and tents on 10/8.
8. Police were ticketing people after a certain hour (around 10?). Make sure to put up signs that say ‘Don’t Honk’.
10. Reminder: We need to respect everybody. We will not turn anybody away.
11. Meet on 10/9, at 7pm, at Uptown Espresso, for an organizational meeting about the movement to stop police brutality on 10/22. We want to make this a powerful day where the oppressed are heard and we stand with them. Also, there is a hunger strike at Pelican Bay prison in CA. They are protesting inhumane conditions and fighting for a better world. If you want more information, look for a ‘how to make a revolution’ sign. We also gather around the red tablecloth.