City of Seattle “Latest Information” 10/08
On the City of Seattle’s website they have posted their rules for our occupation of Westlake and City Hall, as of 10/08 it is as follows:
The City of Seattle supports the free speech rights of individuals and groups. We are also committed to protecting the public and providing for other legitimate uses of city property.
- Use of the Park shall comply with all City, County, State and Federal laws and rules.
- Westlake Park is to remain open to the public and no exclusive use is allowed.
- Persons may not block off public access to any portion of the park. All park pathways, walkways, stairwells and access ways must remain open all times.
- Similarly, persons may not block public access to any private property adjacent to the park.
- It is illegal to camp in public parks in the City of Seattle. The mayor has made City Hall Plaza available for sleeping in tents between the hours of 8:00 pm and 7:00 am.
- One Informational and/or First Aid Canopy will be allowed, subject to reasonable restrictions on size and location. All equipment should be set up in the south end of the park.
- No other tents or structures are allowed.
- Climbing in or hanging materials from trees within the park is not permitted.
- Seattle Parks and Recreation staff will need access to the park for general maintenance and cleaning from approximately 7:00 pm to 10:00 am daily.
- Other permitted events are scheduled to occur in the north end of the park. Occupy Seattle should not interfere with these events, and should remain south of the tree line when other events are ongoing.
- Dispose of all trash properly. Follow all City recycling rules.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be kept or consumed in the park.
- Amplified sound is permitted for speeches and announcements between 9:00 am and 10:00 pm only. Comply with relevant City noise rules, at http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~public/toc/25-08.htm
- Use of City Hall Plaza will comply with all City, County, State and Federal laws and rules.
- The City is making City Hall Plaza available for those demonstrators who wish to stay overnight, with reasonable restrictions on the use of tents to allow free public use of the plaza during the day.
- Two portable toilets will be available on the Plaza for use between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Tents may be set up on the Lower Plaza only on the Fourth Avenue side of City Hall, from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Demonstrators will remove all structures including tents, tables, furniture, personal articles, etc., and are responsible for returning the area to its original condition by 7 a.m. each day.
- Demonstrations in other areas are prohibited.
- No amplification may be used.
- The interior of City Hall is closed to the public from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m., except for scheduled events.
- Fires (including open fires, stoves, fireplaces or any other heating devices) are prohibited.
- Demonstrators will not interfere with the operation of the Homeless Shelter located in the City Hall Red Room, nor will they interfere with anybody entering or leaving the building.
CITY HALL PLAZA:
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION:
Seattle Parks Department: (206) 982-4583
Seattle Police Department: 911 (if emergency) or (206) 625-5011 (non-emergency)
Regular updates and information will be posted on this page (www.seattle.gov/occupyseattle)