General Assembly Meeting Notes: 10/9/11
WORKING GROUP REPORTS:
-NEEDS: -cheap pencils, boxes with holes in top, usb solar batteries, power strips, marine batteries (deep cycle batteries), someone willing to do a propane exchange for food stove, someone with access to printing
-DO NOT NEED: peanut butter
-We are making a proposal tomorrow to adopt the Occupy Wall Street list of grievances and also to add localized grievances.
-mission statement: Outreach is a voice to the people who are not in our movement yet. We are a working group to educate and invite people to this movement. We aim to create an anti-repression place for all people in the movement. Everyone part of the 99%. We embrace everyone.
-We need flyers to canvas other communities. The 99% is majority of country who do not feel that they have a voice in this country. We are here to give the 99% a voice, regardless of political affiliation .
PEACE AND SAFETY:
-We are taking an extra day to make sure mission statement is representative and inclusive to all members of community before submitting for approval.
PROCESS AND FACILITATION:
-We meet every day at 4:30. if you can’t make a meeting, we have an email for recommendations: email@example.com
– We need to start rotating facilitators. And they need to be trained! Drop by the facilitator table to learn how to do it.
– contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
-NEEDS: power sources, translators for web content, a method to approve things for the online calendar
-we meet every day at 4pm. We wear blue armbands.
FIRST PROPOSAL: Let’s sleep in shifts for rain protection
SECOND PROPOSAL: Don’t ever call the police on each other, we should solve our own problems instead.
MOTION: The vote to overturn the block on the proposal against calling the police on each other failed by a 58-41* margin. Since overturning a block requires a 4/5ths majority, the margin would have to have been 80-19 in order to override the block.
THIRD PROPOSAL: No arrestable direct action that threatens Occupy Seattle as a whole can be undertaken without GA approval.
– To change the GA time for tomorrow to 5:45pm in order to accommodate tomorrow’s events, such as the candlelight vigil at 7pm.
-The Internet Communications work group would like to put notification on the Occupy Seattle website notifying everyone of a student walkout on Wednesday and the Saturday global protest.
– A United Farm Workers Rep requested that we support fthe farm workers walkout tomorrow!
-We need more volunteers to take the minutes! Contact email@example.com.
– A hip hop group has been created! Show support for the hip hop community.
– Capitalism vs. Corporate control study group. After GA next Fri there will be a workshop about why capitalism is the problem, not corporate greed
– Meditation group at 6-6:20 in front of See’s Candy Shop.
– If you have audio, radio friendly hip hop, bring it!
– Tomorrow at 4pm the Old Growth Alliance is hosting a rally and protest for the 4th consecutive year at Westlake plaza. Show respect to elders and the native community.
– We need a car to transport water from Capitol Hill.