GA minutes 10/28
Location: Westlake Park
Minutes taken by: Chris from Food WG
Audio archive: No audio or livestream present
• Process mover: Christina
• Taking stack: Jackson
• Time keeper:
(Not recorded, please see below)
Working Group Announcements
Working group announcements was in process when I begun taking minutes so they are truncated.
• Working group reports can go on 1 hr or more, but would like to limit to 30 min.
• Working groups bring reports to us at 6pm.
• Suggest we start this on Tuesday to announce this over and over.
• Sun 10am food court @ Westlake Center, we are having a legal meeting for a Q/A session.
• Working on logistics of march and encampment at SCCC
Sustainability Brigade WG
• Color coding trash cans for visual assistance
• Contact us on the website under Working Groups tab and Sustainability Brigade
• Please reuse utensils and plates or bring your own to save our environment
Get The Money Out of Politics WG
• Meeting Sun 3pm in front of See’s Candies
• Get the word out
• Meeting each week Sunday 3pm
• No action announcements presented today.
• Homeless vet and pissed off at what happened in Oakland, our friends want to know how to support you guys. What do we do? We did too many tours in Afghanistan and Iraq
• I have several friends who are being foreclosed on. I think it would be good to support them at their homes. It’s a thought.
Proposal to move some proposals to Sunday because of low numbers.
One proposal is being voted on because it was tabled last night under the expectation that it would be discussed and voted on tonight.
Proposal: Proposal name has been changed to Occupy Seattle SCCC Good Neighbor Statement
“Occupy Seattle SCCC Good Neighbor Statement
Occupy Seattle supports all those that are struggling to make public education accessible for students and workers of all ages and backgrounds.
Many of us involved with OS are students from SCCC and other institutions of higher education. OS stands in solidarity with students and staff on campus and people who struggle against the policies that make education inaccessible–through tuition hikes, cuts to staff, and hikes in transportation fees. We stand in solidarity with those amongst us who have been shut out of campuses because of tuition hikes and those who have lost their jobs or suffered worse working conditions because of budget cuts.
OS will be respectful of the learning environment of the campus.
-This involves being peaceful and respectful while in route to the restrooms during school hours and respectful treatment of the facilities in the building.
-OS will refrain from tagging or the defacement of land or structures at SCCC
-OS also respects the work of the custodial staff and request that all people associated with OS, agrees to clean up after ourselves so as not to overload the custodial staff. The porta-potties available at the site or offsite will also serve to not overload existing indoor facilities.
OS supports the FARMERS MARKET and wants to make our occupation supportive of their use of SCCC space.
-Camping on the plaza should cease on Sunday during Farmers Market and breakdown hours will be 6:30am-5pm on those days.
OS supports good relations with our neighbors, supports a healthy learning environment, as well as the healthy need for OS campers to sleep.
-In order to fulfill our commitment to being good neighbors as well as to allow other occupiers the sleep they need, OS will limit excessive noisemaking (i.e. drumming/music/loud behavior) to the following hours:
Mon-Thurs : 5pm-9pm
OS wants to create an environment that is conducive for people of all ages, all disabilities as well as people of all different backgrounds.
-OS is aware of SCCC’s policy of no drugs or alcohol on campus and we will do our best to inform new occupiers of this
-We will also inform new occupiers that at SCCC, smoking is limited to designated areas (which will be marked in at least two areas at the perimeter of OS SCCC encampment)
-OS asks all individuals associated with OS to support the mission of the occupation and be responsible both for themselves as well as for the people around them
Behaviors should be accountable to the safety and well being of all occupiers.
-OS will display signage and provide handouts at the info booth in order to show awareness and respect for our good neighbor guidelines”
• ? – Q: Can you please restate about breaking down and hours involved in it?
A: This is respect to the Farmers Market on the Plaza, Sun 6:30a – 5:30p we should respect and support the local businesses.
• ? – Q: We should remain flexible about our guidelines at our own camp.
A: SCCC students also helped draft this, Tactical WG, and other individuals were involved in this.
• Paul – I like this proposal and think it’s a good idea. It gets to the heart of showing the rest of Seattle the character of our personal makeup, showing the world we are concerned citizens that can go the distance and show up when it counts. Oh and one more thing, Wu tang!
• ? – Q: This proposal is crucial and this movement depends on this proposal. We need to maintain a good relationship with the school so that we can maintain our occupation there. I will personally not be doing any drugs there. Drugs would hamper our ability to stay there
A: Real quick. This is the firstt proposal that has passed for individuals to figure this out as individuals.
• ? – The last farmers market is Dec 18.
• ? – I want to have a place with a cafeteria, education center, and all the good stuff. We can do this at SCCC. This is the first step to show what we are and what we stand for.
Vote: Unanimous! No no votes or blocks! Full support and lots of cheering.
Change of mind, now moving on to the three proposals since there is a minute taker.
• “We call on the City of Seattle to withdraw funds held in financial institutions that received tax payer funded bailouts in in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis. We also call of the City of Seattle to transfer these funds to state and local banks.”
• Stack opened for discussion
• ? – Q: Curious, why is this being brought to the GA for approval when we do not need large scale demands to the GA. Some people may block a single demand for the whole group.
A: We acknowledged these concerns and is a valid concern. If we don’t make demands for ourselves, someone else will do it like the Democrats. Not trying to offend, but it happened to the Tea Party.
• ? – Q: What specific banks we’re you thinking of?
A: Wells Fargo, but covering our bases.
• ? – Q: I was wondering the banks we would move the money into.
A: Can’t make suggestions because of RICO act, we could all go to jail, so we can’t name them. We can just say which banks not to bank with.
• ? – Q: This proposal does not include our proposals that people have proposed but are not here.
A: This is the first demand proposed and the most well thought out. It is also time sensitive. Council is voting on to reconsider their finances.
• ? – Q: I support this proposal. I worry about hegemonic demands for the whole group. We are of this history so take it seriously.
• ? – Q: What would you rather see than this proposal?
A: I did not want to open this can of worms and am in proposal of this demand.
• ? – Q: What if the city doesn’t listen to us? It is up to us individuals to do direct actions if they do not listen to us.
A: We have two models we are looking into. A model that would be through working groups or just through individuals.
• ? – Q: Clarification. I didn’t hear if this is one or many demands? What if the city council just says, “OK”.
A: That is OK and that doesn’t mean our Occupation is done.
A: This is not our only demand or the most important one, but something for us to decide. We facilitate this process but not to detriment of others demands. This came up because it is strategic and Nov 5th Bank Transfer Day is coming up. This is a living document and each of us have many ways of expressing ourselves. This demand seems to make sense right now. Not shutting anybody else or anything else out.
• ? – Q: The word demand does not appear in this, but is worded like a demand.
• Q: Someone was concerned about if the City did nothing about this demand. Well this vote is on Nov 8. City elections are on Nov 30. If we do not get results, we can push to change the city council.
• Vote: Proposal passes with full consensus of the GA.
Proposal: Rename Westlake Park to John T Williams Park. In solidarity with those in Oakland that renamed their park Scott Olsen Park.
• ? – I have decided to postpone my proposal until Sunday and relocation to SCCC. Hoping to recruit more participants to the GA. Has far reaching changes to our group. Proposal still on website.
• ? – I have been passing out fliers for Halloween Party at SCCC
• ? – The CEO of Chase Bank will be here on Wed. Anybody that has been organizing the march, we already have a bank occupation. I propose we have a meeting for a shared day of action. (they had a meeting)
• ? – If you are on a WG please bring me your Mission Statement or where I can find it already. So that new people can easily get involved.
• ? – Does anyone know how/why the Intergroups Meeting get rescheduled today, some people showed up at 3pm then some showed up at 5 pm.
We are concluded with the GA. If anyone wants to have general discussion, do so now. Congrats on the most concise GA I have ever been too!