D12: WEST COAST PORT SHUTDOWN Schedule and Events
Actions are planned in every major west coast port city, plus Houston, TX; blockades of Walmart distribution centers in Salt Lake City, Denver, and more.
Meet at Westlake Plaza (4th & Pine) for a 1pm rally, then march to blockade the Port of Seattle. (Heads up! Geo from the Blue Scholars will be at Westlake at 1pm. For more info, visit www.hiphopoccupies.com)
There will be two rallies near the port at 3pm and 6pm at the Spokane Street fishing area, just to the east of the Spokane St. bridge, near the intersection of SW Spokane St & SW Manning St. under the West Seattle bridge.
FREE, WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE BUS from Westlake Center on Pike St. (next to Sephora) to the Port of Seattle LEAVING EVERY HOUR at 2:15, 3:15, 4:15, and 5:15pm! Questions about the Occupy Bus? Call Noel (206)794-6838.
Because of limited space, consider metro buses, such as routes #125, #122, #132, #21, or #22 from Westlake Center to the Port. Get off the 125 at Chelan Ave SW and SW Spokane St., and walk east along the Alki bike path beneath the West Seattle bridge. Occupy Seattle members will meet you there!
CALL FOR BIKE SWARM/CRITICAL MASS: Bike enthusiast, bike owner and bike rider to meet at Westlake Plaza at 1 PM to lead the march to the port.
* Solidarity with immigrant port truckers in Seattle and LA who are exploited by SSA, owned by Goldman Sachs. Stop discrimination, unsafe conditions, and poverty wages.
* Send a warning to multinational grain company EGT, which is trying to bust the ILWU in Longview, WA. We act independently of the ILWU but we are in solidarity.
* Against police repression and evictions of occupations. A coordinated response to their coordinated attacks. Occupy everything!
* Against austerity! They say cut back, we say fight back. If they cut the working class, we will cut their profits by stopping trade.
For more info on WHY we are occupying the ports, check out this statement: http://occupyseattle.org/resource/west-coast-port-shutdown
- To dispel rumors: We are not planning on trespassing on federal property, we are not planning on breaking into the actual port terminals, we are not planning on sabotaging equipment.
- Rallies will be family-friendly with food, speeches, entertainment, etc. They are on public land, near sidewalks and the bike path. There is never any guarantee with police, but these rallies are legal and should be relatively safe.
-Picket lines will go to other parts of the port. These lines will involve various levels of risk of arrest and possible police violence, which will be made clear to everyone so people can choose whether or not they want to participate.
For more information in general, check out: www.westcoastportshutdown.org, http://occupyseattle.org/, or call (206) 424-4547.
Please invite your friends on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/318022101544266/
Twitter #occupytheport and #occupyseattle
Press release: http://occupyseattle.org/blog/2011-12-07/support-grows-seattle-port-shutdown-december-12th-press-release
Statement by the People of Color Caucus of Occupy Seattle: http://occupyseattle.org/blog/2011-12-05/letter-poc-caucus-friends-family-and-community-dec-12-port-shut-down
Statement by Hip Hop Occupies: http://occupyseattle.org/blog/2011-12-06/dubs-hip-hop-occupies-call-action-west-coast-port-shutdown
Video about the shutdown, featuring Boots Riley: http://youtu.be/OGqncu3wlEI
Here are a lot of the outreach materials that have been produced by various groups here and in Oakland. Please print these out and help distribute them in your communities:
Safety Guide for the West Coast Port Shutdown: Click here to download our PDF Guide to the Seattle Port Shut Down.
Interview with ILWU Members About D12
Please donate to help us cover the costs of buses, food, etc: https://www.wepay.com/donate/42135?ref=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=donation