Image: Bank Occupiers at a Chase Branch in Capitol Hill
On Wednesday November 2nd, 2011, Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JP Morgan Chase came to Seattle. And independent participants of Occupy Seattle gave him a warm welcome.
Starting at 2pm, 3 men and 2 women occupied the Chase Bank branch in Capitol Hill on Broadway and E. Thomas. Along with about 70 demonstrators outside, they shut down the branch for over two hours.
Then at 6pm, over 300 demonstrators marched on the Sheraton Hotel where Mr. Dimon was speaking. They raised a loud voice in unison against Chase’s corporate greed and then hundreds proceeded to lock arm and block the entrances to to the Sheraton letting the 1% know that they can no longer proceed with business as usual in Seattle. Demonstrators believe they prevented Mr. Dimon from leaving for at least three hours.
Under Dimon’s leadership, JP Morgan Chase has kicked thousands of families out of their homes by predatory lending and foreclosures. They’ve laid off thousands of Washingtonians after their hostile takeover of Washington Mutual. They’ve perpetuate the monopoly the 1% have on our political system.
Enough is enough. No more business as usual.
“Live your desires. Join us. This world is ours – all of ours – and don’t let them tell you anything different. We will build it together.” – From the Statement of the Bank Occupiers of November 2, 2011.*
*Transcription coming soon.
chr15 is an independent observer and does not speak for Occupy Seattle as a whole.
On Wednesday, November 2, 2011,, Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JP Morgan Chase will be visiting Seattle. Chase collected billions in bailouts while giving millions in bonuses to executives like Dimon, laying off thousands of Washingtonians, and forcing families out of their homes with predatory lending.
Let’s show him that what Seattle really thinks of banksters like him!
We’ll be taking on Dimon with some awesome events:
1pm: Meet at Seattle Central Community College – 1 hour speak out.
2pm: March and action at a major bank.
4:30pm: Meet at Westlake Park to make signs and other preparations for march
6pm: March from Westlake Park to the Sheraton where Mr. Dimon will be speaking.
Occupy Seattle believes that Chase bank and Jamie Dimon are complicit in the collapse of the US economy and the ongoing economic injustice in our nation today.
The list of injustices is long. Here is a short sample:
- While the majority of Americans saw their incomes decrease in 2010, Dimon received a 1,500 percent increase in compensation to $20.8 million.
- Dimon believes that foreclosure is a form of magnanimous “debt relief” that leaves the former homeowners “better off” than they were before. As he said in May 2011, “…Giving debt relief to people that really need it, that’s what foreclosure is.”
- In 2011, Chase agreed to pay $153.6 million to settle US Securities and Exchange Commission fraud charges.
- In March of 2010, Chase agreed to pay $75 million in fines and forfeit $647 million in fees to settle federal regulators’ charges that it made unlawful payments to friends of public officials to win municipal bond business.
- In October 2010, executives at Chase confessed to signing tens of thousands of foreclosure documents without reading them.
- In 2009, Chase reported a profit of $11.7 billion, more than twice its profit for 2008, the year the bank received a federal taxpayer bailout of $94.7 billion.
- Adding insult to injury, Chase admitted in January of this year to overcharged more than 4,000 active-duty military personnel on their home loans.
The action is also in solidarity with the planned General Strike in Oakland. Let’s make November 2nd one to remember! Please RSVP and invite all your friends to this Facebook event: