A significant number of Occupations around the country have passed resolutions supporting the National Gathering and it's momentum is gaining speed. Although there has not been a proposal submitted to the Occupy Seattle GA for an offical endosement; read on to learn more about this action.
Occupy movement supporters will gather in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from June 30th to July 4th, 2012,for the first Occupy National Gathering. This event is the culmination of months of organizing and consensus-building by countless activists from across the country. It has been endorsed by Occupy General Assemblies from Wall Street to Sacramento, and Austin to Kalamazoo, providing a clear example of the movement’s disparate chapters collaborating on a massive scale.
Occupy Philadelphia and the National Gathering Working Group, which initially proposed the event, invite all people to gather on Independence Mall for five days of community and movement building culminating in a massive outdoor gathering on July 4th. The main goals of the event are to strengthen our internal bonds, join together in direct actions, and engage in a transparent democratic process reflecting the values of the movement.
Activities will include:
Four days of discussions, teach-ins, political theater, and community bonding.
Protests and direct actions with Occupiers from across the movement.
Collectively crafting a Vision for a Democratic Future on July 4th.
All people of good conscience who are fed up and ready to stand up for economic and social justice are invited to join us at Independence Mall. We will send the message that injustice of any kind is unacceptable. No government or corporation can ignore the will of the people any longer. We can build a better world together.
For more details:
- IndyOWS – Indianapolis, IN
- Occupy Albany – Albany, NY
- Occupy Asheville – Asheville, NC
- Occupy Astoria – New York, NY
- Occupy Austin – Austin, TX
- Occupy Baltimore – Baltimore, MD
- Occupy Baton Rouge – Baton Rouge, LA
- Occupy Birmingham – Birmingham, AL
- Occupy Bozeman – Bozeman, MT
- Occupy Buswick – Buswick, NY
- Occupy Charleston – Charleston, SC
- Occupy Chattanooga – Chattanooga, TN
- Occupy DC – Washington, DC
- Occupy Delaware – Wilmington, DE
- Occupy Elmira – Corning, NY
- Occupy Fort Collins – Fort Collins, CO
- Occupy Harrisburg – Harrisburg, PA
- Occupy Harrisonburg – Harrisonburg, VA
- Occupy Hartford – Hartford, CN
- Occupy Jacksonville – Jacksonville, FL
- Occupy Jersey City – Jersey City, NJ
- Occupy Kalamazoo – Kalamazoo, MI
- Occupy Kansas City – Kansas City, MO
- Occupy Lancaster – Lancaster, PA
- Occupy Las Vegas – Las Vegas, NV
- Occupy Littleton – Littleton, CO
- Occupy Maine – Portland, ME
- Occupy Merced CA – Merced, CA
- Occupy New Orleans – New Orleans, LA
- Occupy Philadelphia – Philadelphia, PA
- Occupy Pikes Peak – Pikes Peak, CO
- Occupy Queens – Queens, NY
- Occupy Sacramento – Sacramento, CA
- Occupy Salt Lake City – Salt Lake City, UT
- Occupy San Antonio – San Antonio, TX
- Occupy Springfield – Springfield, MO
- Occupy Staten Island – Staten Island, NY
- Occupy St. Pete
- Occupy Tulsa – Tulsa, OK
- Occupy Wall Street – New York, NY
- Occupy Worcester – Worcester, MA
ONE MONTH FROM TODAY
The Occupy Caravan departs from Seattle and two other West Coast cities — S.F. and L.A. — on a 20-day route east.
We're looking for organizers, entertainers — and drivers – to help, educating communities and connecting with cities across the country before arriving for the June30 – July4 Occupy National Gathering on Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Pictures from the trip
Trip of a lifetime
On the 100th anniversary of the birth of Woody Guthrie let's declare: This Land is Our Land! From the Redwood Forest to the New York Island, everyone, together — let's ride. There will be a lead RV with livestream/multimedia setup to document the trip, and we're looking for as many occupiers, speakers, students and entertainers/performers as possible to fill the roads and Main Streets of America! Occupy Caravan is organizing caravans starting at three cities on the West Coast (Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles) and travleing across the country, all converging in Washington, DC, then traveling to Philadelphia in time for the National Gathering.
We're looking for point people in the Seattle area to step up and commit to helping organize a launch event for the Caravan's departure on June 11 — in tandem with friends from Portland — as its makes its way that afternoon over to Spokane — where it needs a welcoming party! — for the first leg of the trip. This will be an urban (and sometimes rural) camping journey, so bring tent! With last night's endorsement of the national gathering proposal by Occupy DC and Occupy Birmingham, the total number of occupations that have endorsed the proposal now stands at 30.
The 30 endorsing occupations are listed on the National Gathering website. Please go to www.occupycaravan.com and see the schedule/cities page for a detailed itinerary, or go to Our Occupy Cavavan FaceBook Page.
Write us today and tell us if you're on board and can commit to helping! Please write to email@example.com with a sentence or two saying simply "Yes I am coming" or "No I am not coming"; and if yes, any details we should know about how many are in your party, whether you have your own vehicle, etc, and of course any questions, issues or concerns you'd like to discuss about the trip, which we'll try to answer promptly.